Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Why I'm Here


Once upon a time I had a little baby. I loved her, fed her, played with her, laughed with her. She was the best thing that I had ever experienced in my entire life. So tiny, so fragile, a miracle.


One day when she was a few weeks old, a friend told me, "There's this music class that's happening in town. You should go with her!"


I love music ( and who doesn't?) and I thought, "Wonderful! Another experience that I can share with her!" And off we went. We danced, we sang, we played with instruments and colorful objects. I was a sponge- I wanted to learn as much as I could about what I could do for my baby to help her grow. And our teacher was warm, caring, and offered suggestions in class that I had never even considered. She spoke from her heart and made a lasting impression on me. I made new friends- other moms that were seeking the kind of support that only new moms can appreciate.


My baby grew. And I grew, too. Our weekly music visits were fun, educational, and they opened my eyes to new ways to teach my daughter about the world and about her endless potential. As I grew, I realized that I too, had endless potential. Maybe I could offer this kind of music class to other parents, too! Maybe I could share all the information that had been so helpful to me! Maybe I could run my own part-time business AND be at home with my child! ( Flashback-prior to having my daughter, I was commuting to Boston full-time to a job and a career that I knew was not for me.) I had a music degree that was gathering dust on the shelf and it was time to take it down, dust it off, and explore this new facet of my life. Luckily, we were blessed to be in such a position that I could pursue a part-time career.

When she was two, I thought it would be a good opportunity to explore the "other side" of Kindermusik and I became certified to teach. I could teach in the morning and be with my daughter for the rest of the day! It was perfect! Two classes became four, then eight, then ten. My love, my passion for not only my own daughter but for children everywhere had been kindled by this Kindermusik experience.


Four years later, my passion and love remain- bigger and stronger than ever. I am dedicated to helping children and families share time, music, and love with each other. The future depends on our children. By planting the seeds of love now with them, we can assure a better future for our world.


I am writing this blog to share all that I know about music, education, and resources that can help us all become better parents for our children. You will see links for events, developmental articles, and musical songs and activities for you and your whole family to enjoy. Feel free to submit your questions and comments! I'd love to hear from you.


Peace,

Bernadette