Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Family Time


Meet my family. Not my immediate family, no, but pretty close. This is my Family Time class from New Horizons at Choate in Woburn, MA. I've held monthly classes here for almost two years and have shared music and laughter with all of these wonderful people. Family Time is Kindermusik's curriculum for families with (or without) more than one child.


Making music together with children of more than one age and developmental stage might seem challenging. Babies rolling on the floor, four-year-olds stomping like dinosaurs. But, just like home, the chaos has it's magic moments. When an older brother or sister wants to dance with his baby sister, for instance. Or when a toddler learns to share an instrumentwith another toddler in class. Or a baby suddenly starts clapping to the music because their big brother/sister is doing it.


These aren't just music skills. These are life skills.


When a child demonstrates this kind of behavior in a musically-inspired, relaxed, happy setting, it creates a memory for the child that lasts ( perhaps subconsciously) forever. And THAT's what I love about Family Time and all of my other Kindermusik classes.We're all there to have a good time, to sing songs, to dance, to laugh. But in the meantime, the kids are learning how to get along- a HUGE asset for preschool readiness and for life, too.


Yesterday I was at a playdate with my daughter. Naturally, as the day progressed, there were times when the kids were, shall we say, energetic ( that "I want to tear my hair out" mom-feeling!!! Yes, I've been there...) I asked my friend and her family to join me for Family Time at 4pm. They came and they had fun- the perfect diversion to the day- a little music, a little loving and snuggling, and we were all better for it.


As a teacher with one daughter, the option of teaching Family Time seemed like such a challenge a few years ago- what do I do with different age groups? Yikes! But I took the plunge into the jumbling, tumbling, family chaos and I am forever changed. Nothing inspires me more than seeing moms and dads dancing with their children, smiling and singing with them, and holding them close during quiet time ( yes, we can actually accomplish this in class!). So thank you to all of my Family Time families who have shared these wonderful moments with me.


I'm proud to call all of you my family, too.